Completing the first leg of the 2020 Dakar Rally’s marathon stage without problems, GASGAS Factory Racing’s Laia Sanz has today moved one-step closer to the finish of this year’s event. With stage 10 shortened due to the mobilisation of all event medical vehicles and with adverse weather conditions, Laia reached the overnight bivouac in Shubaytah having recorded the 19th fastest stage time today on her GASGAS RC 450F. Another fast and largely uncomplicated day of racing for Laia, with just two competitive stages remaining the Spaniard sits 17th overall.
- With the event finish in sight Laia took ‘no risks’ on the high-speed stage 10
- Adverse weather and full deployment of safety vehicles resulted in shortened stage
- Laia will receive no assistance from her GasGas Factory Racing team tonight
Laia Sanz: “I rode today’s stage with caution. The first day of a marathon stage is always important, and today, because I needed to look after my bike and also because I wanted to be safe, I took no risks. I would prefer stages that are slower and require technical riding skills, so I hope the final two stages will be like this. I’m happy to arrive here in Shubaytah safely and I’m looking forward to finishing the race."
Tomorrow sees competitors return to Haradh on stage 11. Heading north-west, Laia will tackle 80 kilometres of Saudi Arabia’s finest sand dunes – a true test of endurance as she completes the second leg of the marathon stage.
Provisional results: Dakar Rally 2020, stage 10
1. Joan Barreda (Honda) 2:11:42
2. Ricky Brabec (Honda) 2:12:49 +1:07
3. Kevin Benavides (Honda) 2:14:13 +2:31
19. Laia Sanz (GASGAS) 2:39:33 +27:51
Provisional standings: Dakar Rally 2020 (after stage 10)
1. Ricky Brabec (Honda) 34:12:18
2. Pablo Quintanilla (Husqvarna) 34:38:02 +25:44
3. Joan Barreda (Honda) 34:39:27 +27:09
17. Laia Sanz (GASGAS) 37:46:29 +3:34:11